You can learn so much for free online, but you can't be sure exactly what you need to work on in order to get your tracks to the next level.
Also you might have specific questions which I can answer straight away, you might find the answer on YouTube but it's going to take much longer and it isn't guaranteed.
I can quickly assess where you're at and exactly what it is that you need to do in order to get the result you want - amazing music!
Examples of things we might work on:
- Taking and idea to completion - turning a short loop into a finished track
- Sound design - manipulating samples and/or using synths to get the perfect sounds for your track.
- Mixing - making sure none of the sounds are fighting for space in the mix and that it all sounds great (like the tracks you love)
- Using effects and processing effectively to improve your mix
- Sound selection - making sure you start with the right sound will save so much time as opposed to trying to make a mediocre sound work
- Drum programming - learning to sequence drums and how to make the come alive and really move people on the dance floor
How does it work?
- We arrange a convenient time and then I usually ask you to send me the project of a track you are working on (Ableton Live only).
- We then have a video call and I open your project and share my screen so you can see exactly what I’m doing.
- I have software that means I can share the sound directly so you get high quality audio - NOT the audio coming through my webcam mic.
- I can also record the session for you to refer to later.
- After the session I send you the recording and the edited project so you can work on it in your own time.
- If you like I can give you ‘homework’ tasks to do.
It's been great working with Guy. Our sessions are eye-openly productive. I've learnt tips and techniques in context with my own music that you cannot get from watching hours of youtube. It's invaluable to me to have someone of Guy's experience providing input and insight into my songs - it's improved them no doubt and also built my confidence overall in my approach to music making.
"As an amateur, the one-to-one sessions with Gyu have proved a fascinating and extremely effective learning forum. Gyu provides highly personalised tutorials on my own projects, quickly identifying areas for improvement and applying techniques and tips directly during the session, covering areas including mixing, layering and arrangement. Everything is fully explained with insights around the observed improvements on individual tracks and the production overall. This is a major motivational step for me in terms of applying production-level knowledge and experience as I progress."
I discovered Guy's channel after seeing a post he made about Leftfield. I contacted him about some Ableton tutorials as I had just signed up for the 90 day free trial. Having never seen or used a DAW before I would be considered as much of a beginner as you can get. I booked 5 hour long sessions. Fast forward the 5 weeks (one session per week done via Zoom) and I am making full tracks.
The overwhelming feeling when first approaching Ableton is gone and all that is left is excitement about the potential it has to offer. Guy offered some additional help regarding my setup via email as he is very accommodating and knowledgeable.
Testimonial - DJ Paul Thompson (Melt Music)
I've been working with Paul for about 6 months now. He's made great progress in his production skills. Here he is talking about what he gets out of our coaching sessions.
30 Minute Session
60 Minute Session
5 x 60 Minute Session
£375 (£25 saving)
30 Minute Session
60 minute Session
5x60 minute Sessions*
- £25 saving